[OpenAFS] Re: Undelete support feedback request

Jerry McAllister jerrymc@msu.edu
Thu, 7 Dec 2006 16:33:52 -0500

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 02:36:08PM -0600, Sidney Cammeresi wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 at 15.04.38 -0500, Todd M. Lewis wrote:
> > > ... and how do you pick which one you're undeleting?  I mean, I know
> > > how to do this at the RPC layer - you just undelete by FID. But what
> > > is the UI going to look like?
> >
> > Anybody remember VMS? When you replaced a file, it kept the old version
> > around. If you didn't specify which version of a file you wanted,
> > it would default to the current version, but you could just as easily
> > specify the one, say, five versions back. I think you had some control
> > over how many versions of a given file it would keep for you. "Deleting"
> > a file just meant you didn't want to see version 0 anymore. I think
> > DEC sold a lot of storage because of this...

You could put a limit on how many versions were kept for each file
and you could arbitrarily delete any version, all versions or all
versions older than xxx.

I found it usefule a few times, but not often.

////jerry