[OpenAFS] bets practices on WAN

Wes Chow wchow@athenacr.com
Wed, 01 Feb 2006 11:52:56 -0500

Our site has machines in three geographically distant areas.  Right now,
we have one kdc and openafs vldb server in each location, the rationale
being that in case of network disconnections, each location would still
be able to access its local services.  Does this seem like reasonable setup?

Do clients prefer using vldbs that are on the same subnet, like how they
prefer RO volumes?  Every client has entries for every vldb in the
CellServDB file.. sometimes, when there's a short period of network
disconnect with the remote vldbs, it seems like clients hang while
trying to access those servers, despite the local vldb still being
available.  Is this possible?  If so, is it recommended to remove remote
vldbs from client CellServDB files?

Wes

--

Athena Capital Research LLC