[OpenAFS] /usr/sbin/afsd --impatient

Adam Megacz megacz@cs.berkeley.edu
Mon, 13 Feb 2006 22:57:48 -0800

I'm sure people will give me plenty of reasons why this is a bad idea,
but putting that aside...

Is there any way to make sure that the cache manager never waits for
more than (say) 5 seconds for a response?  By which I mean that if the
server fails to respond after 5 seconds, assume it's never coming back
and return EIO to the caller or something like that.

A few people here are rather close to uninstalling the OpenAFS client
because it's causing the finder (Mac OS X) to hang so often.  At this
point it would be better to have them in a situation where AFS only
works well on the campus network (where 5000ms is an eternity) than
have them uninstall it.  If source modifications are necessary to pull
this off, I would appreciate a pointer or two to get me started.

BTW, huge thanks to the people responsible for the MacOS 10.4 port.
The faculty here have really taken a liking to Apple's laptops, and
this would be a much harder sell if OpenAFS didn't support them.  Now
if we could just get Apple would use non-blocking I/O for the finder
like they should have done in the first place...

  - a

--
PGP/GPG: 5C9F F366 C9CF 2145 E770  B1B8 EFB1 462D A146 C380