[OpenAFS] apache and home directories on with 1.4 client

Todd M. Lewis Todd_Lewis@unc.edu
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 13:50:06 -0500

Perhaps it's related to home directory issues, but based on my
experience, I think you're running into an issue with SELinux.  The
default SELinux policies make /afs basically invisible to httpd. As a
quick test, you can disable SELinux enforcement (see
/etc/selinux/config), reboot, and see if stuff in AFS shows up through
httpd. If so, then you can either

   * leave it that way (not a good idea)
   * learn just enough about selinux to make it work (another not good idea)
   * learn a whole bunch about selinux so that you really understand
what it's doing and why (not a particularly attractive agenda for a long
night), then make it do the Right Thing on purpose.

BTW, If you end up taking the third option, I'd like to know what you
had to do to make httpd do the Right Thing in AFS. :-)
--
Todd_Lewis@unc.edu

Ron Croonenberg wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I installed the OpenAFS client 1.4 on an FC3 machine.
>
> I created a symbolic link  /home to /afs/mycell/home  but if I try to point a
> browser to someone's public_html directory  in /home/~userid it says it cannot
> find that url.  (On other machines running the OpenAFS client 1.2.13 it "just
> seems to work)
>
> I remember seeing a few msgs a few days ago about some homedirectory issues ?
> is this related ?
>
> thanks,
>
> Ron

    / Todd_Lewis@unc.edu  919-445-9302  http://www.unc.edu/~utoddl /
   /             When an actress saw her first strands            /
  /              of gray hair she thought she'd dye              /