[OpenAFS] FC3 network install with OpenAFS rpms

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Sun, 29 Jan 2006 14:47:34 -0500

Ron Croonenberg <ronc@DePauw.edu> writes:

[snip]

I'm not sure what you mean..  The RPM doesn't care about the RUNNING
kernel..  It /does/ care about having 'kernel = <version>" where
<version> is the kernel version the RPM was built against.

> Is there a way around it ?

Um, maybe you could just build the kernel module for the kernel
you're installing???

> install: 2.6.12-1.667_FC3
> updated kernel: 2.6.12-1.1381_FC3
> openafs kernel module: openafs-kernel-1.4.0-2.6.12_1.1378_FC3_1.i686

Note:  2.6.12-1.1381 != 2.6.12-1.1378

Build a kernel module for 1381 and install that alongside the 1381 kernel.

> Could I get away with installing first:
> openafs-1.4.0-fc3.1.i386
> then install an older kernelmodule
> then: openafs-client-1.4.0-fc3.1.i386.

No.

> then update the kernel while doing a kickstart install
>
> after that copy the openafs.ko compiled somewhere else.
> run depmod
>
> kickstart is done, reboot and keep my fingers crossed ?
>
> thanks,
>
> Ron

-derek