[OpenAFS] OpenAFS Windows client will not map drives

Sean Caron caron.sean@gmail.com
Fri, 3 Mar 2006 11:50:14 -0500

------=_Part_11294_29321164.1141404614842

I'm trying to install the OpenAFS client on some Windows XP Pro workstation=
and I am finding that for some reason, I am not able to map drives in the
AFS heirarchy to Windows drive letters.

The systems are set up running XP Pro with the Novell client set up for
single sign on. Protocols installed are: NWLink NetBIOS, NWLink
IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol, TCP/IP. MIT Kerberos for
Windows 3.0 is installed and working perfectly (getting tickets and so
forth). I install the OpenAFS client 1.4.0 with default settings EXCEPT
without the loopback adaptor because it seems to break the Novell client. I
have things set up such that it is the OpenAFS client that prompts the user
to sign into Kerberos/AFS, not the MIT Kerberos client itself.

I log into a workstation and I get the dialog box from OpenAFS prompting fo=
my username and
password. I can type in my username and password and it apparently logs in
successfully and obtains
tickets.

BUT, although everything seems to be working well, I cannot map drives at
all!

If I just go to Start->Run and type something like, for example,

\\SPH-2002-08-AFS\sph.umich.edu\some\path\here

Windows will pop up a window as usual, and I can navigate the AFS directory
tree, no problems. But if
I actually try to set up some mapping points, I get a number of strange
errors.

(1) If i try to use NET.EXE to set up the mappings, say, for my home
directory,

NET USE \\sph-2002-08-AFS\sph.umich.edu\user\s\scaron g:

I get a "system error 67" from Windows: "the network name cannot be found".

(why? when Windows can obviously resolve the network name for browsing, as
above...)

(2) If i try to use the AFS system tray program or control panel to
configure a mapping,

I get an error: "AFS was unable to map the network drive to the specified
path in AFS. Check to make
sure that the drive letter is not currently in use. Error: 0x00000043"

(what does Error 0x00000043 even indicate? I see no mention of it on the We=
or in the docs)

Does anyone have any idea why this would occur? I'm running out of things t=
try. The account that I
am using IS a member of the "AFS Client Admins" group. I am of course tryin=
to map to a drive letter
that is available. I've tried changing the name of a machine to something
that doesn't contain any
nonalphabetic characters (only letters and numbers). I've messed with
NetBIOS over TCP/IP settings.
I've tried installing Microsoft File & Print Sharing services in the
networking control panel (this actually
seems to break the client even more). I've tried it with the loopback clien=
(breaks Novell) and without
the loopback client (works, as above, but I just can't map drives). I've
tried the beta client 1.5.0 and
it does the same thing.

Does the OpenAFS/Windows client have some sort of dependency that I am not
aware of? The docs,
are, as everyone is probably fully aware, pretty lousy, and don't really
indicate what OpenAFS really
needs to run properly in terms of Windows configuration, protocols, etc.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions anyone might have.

Thanks!

Sean Caron

Associate Systems Administrator
University of Michigan School of Public Health
scaron@umich.edu
1-734-763-4206

------=_Part_11294_29321164.1141404614842

I'm trying to install the OpenAFS client on some Windows XP Pro
workstations and I am finding that for some reason, I am not able to
map drives in the AFS heirarchy to Windows drive letters.<br>
The systems are set up running XP Pro with the Novell client set up for
single sign on. Protocols installed are: NWLink NetBIOS, NWLink
IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol, TCP/IP. MIT Kerberos for
Windows 3.0 is installed and working perfectly (getting tickets and so
forth). I install the OpenAFS client 1.4.0 with default settings EXCEPT
without the loopback adaptor because it seems to break the Novell
client. I have things set up such that it is the OpenAFS client that
prompts the user to sign into Kerberos/AFS, not the MIT Kerberos client
itself.<br>
I log into a workstation and I get the dialog box from OpenAFS prompting fo=
r my username and<br>
password. I can type in my username and password and it apparently logs in =
successfully and obtains<br>
tickets.<br>
BUT, although everything seems to be working well, I cannot map drives at a=
ll!<br>
If I just go to Start-&gt;Run and type something like, for example,<br>
\\SPH-2002-08-AFS\sph.umich.edu\some\path\here<br>
Windows will pop up a window as usual, and I can navigate the AFS directory=
 tree, no problems. But if<br>
I actually try to set up some mapping points, I get a number of strange err=
ors.<br>
(1) If i try to use NET.EXE to set up the mappings, say, for my home direct=
ory,<br>
NET USE \\sph-2002-08-AFS\sph.umich.edu\user\s\scaron g:<br>
I get a &quot;system error 67&quot; from Windows: &quot;the network name ca=
nnot be found&quot;.<br>
(why? when Windows can obviously resolve the network name for browsing, as =
above...)<br>
(2) If i try to use the AFS system tray program or control panel to configu=
re a mapping,<br>
I get an error: &quot;AFS was unable to map the network drive to the specif=
ied path in AFS. Check to make<br>
sure that the drive letter is not currently in use. Error: 0x00000043&quot;=
(what does Error 0x00000043 even indicate? I see no mention of it on the We=
b or in the docs)<br>
Does anyone have any idea why this would occur? I'm running out of things t=
o try. The account that I<br>
am using IS a member of the &quot;AFS Client Admins&quot; group. I am of co=
urse trying to map to a drive letter<br>
that is available. I've tried changing the name of a machine to something t=
hat doesn't contain any<br>
nonalphabetic characters (only letters and numbers). I've messed with NetBI=
OS over TCP/IP settings.<br>
I've tried installing Microsoft File &amp; Print Sharing services in the ne=
tworking control panel (this actually<br>
seems to break the client even more). I've tried it with the loopback clien=
t (breaks Novell) and without<br>
the loopback client (works, as above, but I just can't map drives). I've tr=
ied the beta client 1.5.0 and<br>
it does the same thing. <br>
Does the OpenAFS/Windows client have some sort of dependency that I am not =
aware of? The docs,<br>
are, as everyone is probably fully aware, pretty lousy, and don't really in=
dicate what OpenAFS really<br>
needs to run properly in terms of Windows configuration, protocols, etc.<br=

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions anyone might have.<br>
Thanks!<br>
Sean Caron<br>
Associate Systems Administrator<br>
University of Michigan School of Public Health<br>
1-734-763-4206<br>

------=_Part_11294_29321164.1141404614842--