[OpenAFS] Is OpenAFS for me?

Karl Bellve Karl.Bellve@umassmed.edu
Tue, 07 Mar 2006 13:01:13 -0500

--------------030803040000000004050505

Juha Jäykkä wrote:

> Having spent the last few months explaining volumes to people who are used
>
>to the thought that filesystem equals partition, I am afraid there is a
>possibility of misunderstanding here.
>
>Karl: did you intentionally ask about volumes or did you mean "the corner
>of universe where my files reside on an AFS"? You can add stuff to your
>AFS very easily with no limits what so ever. You *cannot* add new drives
>to an existing volume, but I do not think you would ever even want to.

This is all new stuff to me...and very new "speak" as well...

I don't think I meant volumes the way AFS means volumes, as you noticed.

But, I would like to have a /afs/home that is 1TB made up of various
computers/drives. If I add a new HD to a new computer, can I now expand
/afs/home to include the size of the new HD, or must I make a new AFS?

Going back to reread the AFS FAQ once more...

--------------030803040000000004050505

begin:vcard
fn:Karl Bellve
n:Bellve;Karl
org:Biomedical Imaging Group;Department of Physiology
adr:2 Biotech, Suite 114;;373 Plantation Street;Worcester;Massachusetts;01655;United States of America
email;internet:Karl.Bellve@umassmed.edu
title:Assistant Professor
tel;work:508-856-6514
tel;fax:508-856-6514