[OpenAFS] Migration to a new host failure

ph rhole oper slitbit@fastmail.fm
Sat, 11 Mar 2006 13:58:26 +0200

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 12:17:43 +0100, "Horst Birthelmer"
<horst@riback.net> said:
> On Mar 10, 2006, at 10:42 PM, ph rhole oper wrote:
> > I want to migrate all my current volumes,file services and database
> > services to a new host.
> > Currently, there is one host holding all the file and database
> > services.I plugged in a new host, in wich i plan to move
> > all current volumes and all database information.
> > What is the procedure i should follow?
> >

> > THe following procedure seemed to have failed:
> > 1.Started bosserver on the new host, and "bos setcellname ..."
> > 2.Created buserver vlserver instances.
> > (at this point, the CellServDB file on the new host, lists only
> > itself.The CellServDB on the old host wich
> > is actually holding all the data, contains only the old host.)
> > 3.On the host actually holding data (the old host), i did "bos addhost
> > new_host" so its CellServDB file
> > is like:
> > my.cell>
> > old_host
> > new_host
> > 4.I copied this CellServDB file on the new host, and restarted the
> > services, but the failed to restart with the following messages:
> > - PtLog -
> > ptserver: problems with host name Ubik init failed
> > imary address
> > Fri Mar 10 15:02:56 2006 Inconsistent Cell Info on server: Fri Mar 10
> > 15:02:56 2006 147.27.14.27 Fri Mar 10 15:02:56 2006
> > - VLLog -
> > Fri Mar 10 15:02:56 2006 Using 147.27.14.25 as my primary address
> > Fri Mar 10 15:02:56 2006 Inconsistent Cell Info on server: Fri Mar 10
> > 15:02:56 2006 147.27.14.27 Fri Mar 10 15:02:56 2006
> > vlserver: Ubik init failed with code 5385
>
> off list:
>
> I know that kind of problem and if you're in a position to stop the
> cell you can work around it easily.
> This is for adding a new database server to a one server cell.
>
> 0. stop all the database servers (that's why I said you have to be in
> a position to stop your cell)
> 1. copy all the configuration in the right places (CellServDB with
> both servers, Keyfiles, etc.)
> 2. start the new server first
> make sure it recognizing itself as the only database server 'alive'
> by telling you it's address in
> udebug <server> <any database server port>. This can take a while (1
> min)
> 3. start the old database server
> watch the database synchronization with udebug
> when the old one says 'sync site ... address' and the new one has the
> same database version you have two identical database servers.
> <here you can move the volumes>
> 4. change the CellServDB on all your machines
> 5. stop the old database server
Can i just leave the old database server on, so i can have two database
servers for redundancy (this at least should be working..)
> 6. restart all the services on the new one.
>
> You should end up with a new database server and all your data from
> the old one.
>
> Some people maybe told you to copy the database files as well.
> I have bad experience doing that.
>
> Horst

I just thought that the ubik synchronization would be much more
straightforward..im kind of dissapointed if
everytime i'll have to do something like this..