[OpenAFS] AFS and OS upgrade

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 09:55:08 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006, David Sonenberg wrote:

> I'm planning on doing an OS and AFS software upgrade at the same time.
> To do the testing I was going to copy the /vicepa directory and all the
> databases to the new server and test it there before I do a live
> upgrade.  The problem I'm running into is when I try to copy the /vicepa
> directory I get Permission denied errors.  I've tried doing it with a
> 'rsync -avu' and a 'copy -R' but both fail.  Ideas?

You left out little things like what operating system.

I assume it's a platform with namei (/vicepa/AFSIDat/...) and the files
have weird permissions. Do it as root, and assuming you are, you may need
options to convince those tools to create weird permissions. I used tar
with the p (preserve permissions) option, piped over ssh.

Derrick