[OpenAFS] Linux kernel 2.6.16 and openAFS 1.4.0 /Debian?

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:49:56 -0800

William John Murray <w.j.murray@rl.ac.uk> writes:

>    Yes, it is nice to see that rc10 does indeed support the 2.6.16
> features. But I hope Debian  play nicely for you: the old style
> module support OpenAFS needs is not welcome with redhat. I brought it up
> with Fedora and was told it was an AFS problem:

> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2006-March/msg00550.html

>    Bill
> Ps Maybe they are right?

We need to use the keyring support.  It's just a matter of doing the work.
Debian in the meantime appears to be deciding not to intentionally break
the kernel interface for older modules, which is nice of them.