[OpenAFS] Volume creation and update time change in 1.4.1-rc10?

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Fri, 24 Mar 2006 20:04:42 -0800

We moved a pre-existing test volume from another server onto a 1.4.1-rc10
server earlier this week, and now vos examine output shows zeroed
timestamps for volume creation and last update:

user.wjt                         2003745036 RW      41293 K  On-line
    afssvr13.Stanford.EDU /vicepa
    RWrite 2003745036 ROnly          0 Backup 2003745038
    MaxQuota     215000 K
    Creation    Wed Dec 31 16:00:00 1969
    Copy        Tue Mar 21 16:55:57 2006
    Backup      Fri Mar 24 02:15:01 2006
    Last Update Never

    RWrite: 2003745036    Backup: 2003745038
    number of sites -> 1
       server afssvr13.Stanford.EDU partition /vicepa RW Site

The same output shows up in vos listvol -long.

In Zephyr conversation, Derrick thought this may have been due to an
intentional change.  I'd like to understand more about this and whether we
can prevent it from happening somehow.  We have fairly extensive AFS
reports that rely, among other things, on those values to determine who is
actually using their AFS space and how recently they've used it, and we
need those values to be preserved across volume moves.

Note that this isn't a case, so far as I can tell, of simple latency in
updating that information.  The volume was moved onto that server three
days ago.