[OpenAFS] AFS and OS upgrade

David Sonenberg dsonenberg@strozllc.com
Sun, 26 Mar 2006 12:52:12 -0500

I tried doing the following as root with AFS shutdown:
tar cvpf - /vicepa/ | (cd /mnt/backup/upgrade && tar xBvpf - )

but I got a lot of errors 'Cannot open: No such file or directory' for
subdirectories in /vicepa/AFSIDat/ and for the .vol files as well.  Any
ideas?

Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> Keep it on the list.
>
> On Wed, 22 Mar 2006, David Sonenberg wrote:
>
>> The current OS is Slackware 9.0 and the new OS will be Gentoo 2006.0.
>> The old AFS version is 1.2.13 and the new version will be 1.4.0.  I'll
>> try using a tar command.  Thanks for your help.
>
> For this discussion we'll say "linux". In any case, yes, try what I
> said. mode-perserving copy as root is critical.
>
> Derrick

David Sonenberg
Systems / Network Administrator
Stroz Friedberg, LLC
15 Maiden Lane
15th Floor
New York, NY 10038
Tel 212.981.6527
Fax 212.981.6545

This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain
confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No right to
confidential or privileged treatment of this message is waived or lost
by any error in transmission.  If you have received this message in
error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail or by telephone at
212.981.6540, delete the message and all copies from your system and
destroy any hard copies.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
disclose, distribute, print or copy any part of this message if you are
not the intended recipient.