[OpenAFS] AFS backups and TSM

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Fri, 12 May 2006 13:33:57 -0400

>My basic problem is management wants me to move to TSM, but it sounds
>like TSM isn't going to go the job for long.  I've thought about
>trying to get a license for MR-AFS and trying to do something with TSM
>(which we have), but I really wouldn't know where to start.  I'm
>actually fine with doing what I've been doing, but that doesn't win
>management any points, and they're being really stingy with money for
>new machines and repair.

I feel your pain.  I can only offer two suggestions:

- You do _not_ want to run MR-AFS just for a backup system.  Trust me as
  someone who helped run an MR-AFS system for a long time, and we did backups
  into it.

- Although I hear it's expensive, Teradactyl says they support AFS.  I
  tried to get our site to buy it, but they didn't want to (it wasn't
  so much of a cost thing, it was a "we don't want to be in that business"
  thing -- I didn't understand it either, but that was the end of it).

--Ken