[OpenAFS] LiveCD for openafs disaster recovery scenarios ?

Steve Devine sdevine@msu.edu
Tue, 07 Nov 2006 06:04:34 -0500

Madhusudan Singh wrote:
> Hello
>
> 	At least one (and possibly two) hard disks on the machine (has RAID 5 -
> rebuild did not help too much) that runs our openafs cell failed today. This
> is a Debian machine. Partition /usr is down and attempts to mount it fail
> with bad superblock messages. As a result, all network and many other system
> commands (awk, etc.) are inaccessible.
>
> Now, is there a live CD that can be used to run the machine so that the users
> can at least copy over their data ? I think a reinstall is indicated.
>
> The two partitions housing /vicepa and /vicepb are not affected. Is there a
> way to retrieve data directly from the hard disks ?
>
> Thanks.

Can you reinstall the  OS and leave /vicepa and /vicepb alone during the
install? Then once you are back in business install openafs , mount
/vicpea /vicepb and away you go?
We do this often however our partitions are on attached jbods so we swap
out servers or rebuild the server from an install server but its
basically the same thing. It works as long as the the server hostname
remains the same.
/sd

--
Steve Devine
Storage Systems

506 Computer Center
East Lansing, MI 48824-1042
1-517-432-7327

Baseball is ninety percent mental; the other half is physical.
- Yogi Berra