[OpenAFS] Resizing an ext2-partition on linux

Marcus Watts mdw@umich.edu
Sat, 18 Nov 2006 18:07:53 -0500

kai.m.moritz@gmx.de sent:

> Chris Huebsch schrieb:
> > On Sat, 18 Nov 2006, ted tcreedon wrote:
> >
> >> Why not use ext3 or reiser?
> >
> > Ext3 is in fact possible, and I do use it on my vice-partitions.
> [...]
>
> Anyway, ext3 would not solve my problem. I have to check the
> vice-partition by hand (via "fsck.ext2 -f"), because resize2fs forces me
> to do so (otherwise it refuses to resize the partition, because the
> possibility of data-loss).
>
> So, that's my plan:
>
> - stop the openafs-fileserver
> - unmount the vice-partition
> - check it via linux-fsck
> - enlarge the partition
> - resize it with resize2fs
> - mount it again
> - restart the openafs-fileserver
>

> That's exactly the same, like what I do with a normal partition (expect
> stop/start openafs-fileserver).
> Is that the correct way? Or are there any special openafs-things that I
> should do additionally?!
>
> Greetings Kai Moritz

There's an easier "openafs" thing you could do:

make a new partition
mkfs the new partition
mount it as /vicepb (or whatever the next free letter is)
stop the openafs-fileserver
start the openafs-fileserver

Unless you need to create afs volumes or files on the fileserver
that are somewhere near the total size of the volume, there's no real
advantage to having a single really big filesystem.  Having multiple smaller
partitions should make life easier for the salvager, fsck, etc.

Some versions of afs had "vos online" and "vos offline" commands that could
take an entire partition in or out of service.  In theory, that would
allow you to add a new partition without shutting the fileserver down.

				-Marcus Watts