[OpenAFS] Moving volumes

Garance A Drosihn drosih@rpi.edu
Thu, 12 Oct 2006 21:59:32 -0400

At 5:29 PM -0400 10/12/06, Marcus Watts wrote:
>Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> had flamed:
>  > On Thursday, October 12, 2006 04:47:39 PM -0400 Sanjay Dharmavaram
>>  <sd282@cornell.edu> wrote:
>>
>>  >     I am installing a new AFS server on my network which already has
>  > > an AFS server running. The aim is to replace the already running
>  > > server with the new one. Is there anyway I can copy volumes and
>  > > user accounts from the old server onto the new server? (I would
>  > > prefer copying instead of moving so that I don't lose data if I
>  > > screw up).

>Here's what Russ actually said:
>  > Well, normally you just use vos move to move all the volumes from
>  > one file server to the other.  But the way in which you're asking
>  > the question makes me think that there may be some deeper
>  > misunderstandings.
>  >
>  > AFS volumes should live in only one place (except for read-only
>  > replicas), so you probably don't want to try to copy one volume to
>  > multiple servers at the same time unless you have very special needs.
>
>which I'm guessing the original correspondent might not have found
>completely helpful in any case.  Useful information that might enable
>others to give more useful answers would include:
>	is this an AFS *file server*
>	is this an AFS *db server*
>	is this a kerberos KDC?
>(these answers are not mutually exclusive).
>Also,  [...]

One more question.  From the original question, it is not clear to
me if you (Sanjay ) brought up a new server as part of your already-
existing AFS cell, or if you brought up this new server as part of
some *separate* AFS cell which you had put together for testing
purposes.

Just wanted to make sure we understand what you're trying to do.