[OpenAFS] Re: help, salvaged volume won't come back online, is it corrupt? [trimmed log]

Hartmut Reuter reuter@rzg.mpg.de
Wed, 13 Sep 2006 14:53:55 +0200

Juha J=C3=A4ykk=C3=A4 wrote:
> I was wonderin, somewhat off the topic, about the threat posed by this
> issue.
>=20
> Suppose, I lost the root vnode of a replicated volume. What happens to
> the replicas? Are they still fine (except perhaps for those on the same=

> site as the rw volume), or does this corruption destroy all replicas as=

> well? This is quite important to know for us...
>=20
> -Juha
>=20
In my understanding you easily can propagate this error to your readonly =

replicas by "vos release"ing the corrupt volume. The volserver on the=20
receiving side would remove any data not mentioned in the dump stream.

Better you do a "vos convertROtoRW" on the RO-site as soon as possible=20
to regain a valid RW-volume in this case.

Hartmut
Hartmut Reuter                           e-mail reuter@rzg.mpg.de
					   phone +49-89-3299-1328
RZG (Rechenzentrum Garching)               fax   +49-89-3299-1301
Computing Center of the Max-Planck-Gesellschaft (MPG) and the
Institut fuer Plasmaphysik (IPP)