[OpenAFS] gnome-vfs and AFS home directories

Jack Neely jjneely@pams.ncsu.edu
Tue, 21 Aug 2007 19:57:26 -0400

Folks,

We are starting to deploy RHEL 5 with OpenAFS 1.4.4.  All users have
there home directories in AFS.

The Trash can on the gnome desktop doesn't work.  I found out that the
Trash functionality in gnome-vfs was turned off for AFS filesystems.  I
patched this in Red Hat Bug #253090.

Now, the Trash works for some users and not for others.  I can sit and
watch the opened Trash folder full of items.  Suddenly all the files
vanish...then reappear.

If my research is right, gnome-vfs/nautilis use the kernel inotify stuff
to monitor files.  It appears that AFS isn't properly supporting this.
Can anyone clarify what's happening here?

Jack Neely
--
Jack Neely <jjneely@ncsu.edu>
NCSU Campus Linux Services Lead