[OpenAFS] gnome-vfs and AFS home directories

Jack Neely jjneely@pams.ncsu.edu
Wed, 22 Aug 2007 12:54:19 -0400

On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 05:24:57PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Jack Neely <jjneely@pams.ncsu.edu> writes:
>
> > We are starting to deploy RHEL 5 with OpenAFS 1.4.4.  All users have
> > there home directories in AFS.
>
> > The Trash can on the gnome desktop doesn't work.  I found out that the
> > Trash functionality in gnome-vfs was turned off for AFS filesystems.  I
> > patched this in Red Hat Bug #253090.
>
> > Now, the Trash works for some users and not for others.  I can sit and
> > watch the opened Trash folder full of items.  Suddenly all the files
> > vanish...then reappear.
>
> > If my research is right, gnome-vfs/nautilis use the kernel inotify stuff
> > to monitor files.  It appears that AFS isn't properly supporting this.
> > Can anyone clarify what's happening here?
>
> Does it help to uninstall fam and install gamin instead?

RHEL 5 (RHEL 4 as well) use gamin by default.  Although, to confirm that
I did discover gamin's config file (or lack thereof in RHEL).  Tomorow
I'll see if I can tweek its options and get better results.

Thanks,
Jack

--
Jack Neely <jjneely@ncsu.edu>