[OpenAFS] Re: Setting up new cell on RHEL4 - some help needed

Dr A V Le Blanc Dr A V Le Blanc <LeBlanc@mcc.ac.uk>
Thu, 23 Aug 2007 09:09:21 +0100

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007, Robert Sturrock wrote:
> In former times (when Linux was just born), the content of /afs was
> delivered by a volume itself (named root.afs). All this volume contained
> were mountpoints to root.cell-volumes of other cells. An admin had to
> maintain those mountpoints so that the users of the cell can browse to
> other cells.
>
> Later it became obvious, that maintaining root.afs manually is a lot of
> work if you want to be up to date. At that time dynroot was invented.

I'm still using a nice tool called ucsdb, which I presume came from
the University of California at San Diego.  It collects cell definitions
from a number of places, combines them, mounts root.afs read-write,
adds or deletes cell mount points, unmounts, and then releases the
volume.  Since you need about the same amount of effort to do the
CellServDB file, it's quite painless to maintain root.afs as well.

     -- Owen