[OpenAFS] pts groups -> unix groups

Stephen Joyce stephen@physics.unc.edu
Fri, 31 Aug 2007 00:37:24 -0400 (EDT)

I'm installing a new workstation for a group of my users and it has a large
direct attached raid... I'd rather they store their data in AFS, but the
quantity of data and their required transfer rates dictate the DAS, so I
agree with their decision.

Anyway, to control access to their data, they're going to want unix groups
with similar levels of granularity and end-user configurability that
they're used to with AFS PTS groups.

Does anyone have a solution to use AFS PTS group memberships for unix
groups? My first impulse was to regenerate /etc/group periodically with
userlists obtained from PTS group memberships. Has anyone written such a
script already?

It actually seems that there should be an easier solution. Is there a way
to use PTS groups from nsswitch.conf directly?

This seems like a problem that someone has likely solved before, so I
wanted to ask before re-solving it. (Actually, it'd be nice if I could
store the groups in ldap and have both AFS and unix be able to use them.)

Cheers, Stephen
--
Stephen Joyce
Systems Administrator                                            P A N I C