[OpenAFS] Newbie, installation help needed.

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Tue, 15 May 2007 23:14:37 -0500

Neil Woolstencroft <nwoolstencroft@gmail.com> wrote:
> I need to familiarize myself with AFS and the client requires that
> runs on Ubuntu 6.0.6, this is a two part question.

Do you just need to run a client?  Or are you setting up a new cell (AFS
servers) as well?

> I have read the documentation and it says that I have to create a
> partition on / called /vicepXX, the XX will be replaced by AFS with
> letters. My first question is:
>
> When i create the partition do i call it "/vicep" or do i literally
> call it "/vicepXX" ?

/vicepa

Additionally, you should create a seperate /var/cache/openafs partition
for the AFS client to use.  This must be an extX filesystem.

> Second: I downloaded the latest source from openafs.org (the source
> code) since there is no distribution for Ubuntu, untared and did a
> ./configure and I got these two errors:

I'd strongly suggest simply using the packages that are in Ubuntu.  Yes,
there ARE openafs packages for ubuntu in universe:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/net/openafs-client

(They are slightly out of date, but should be enough to at least get you
started.)

If you do not have universe enabled, edit /etc/apt/sources.lists and
uncomment the universe lines and aptitude update; aptitude install
openafs-client openafs-modules-source build-essential module-assistant
linux-headers-2.6.15-26-server

> checking your OS... configure: WARNING: No usable linux headers found
> at /usr/src/linux so disabling kernel module linux checking your AFS
> sysname... configure: error: Couldn't guess your Linux version.
> Please use the --with-afs-sysname option to configure an AFS sysname.
>
> root@ubuntu:/usr/sources/openafs-1.4.4# uname -a Linux ubuntu
> 2.6.15-26-server #1 SMP Thu Aug 3 04:09:15 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> So, how should I proceed on the installation, if I use the switch
> --with-afs-sysname, what sysname should I use?

i386_linux26

You will need to have kernel headers installed to build the openafs
client.  But please just install the packages and read the included
instructions.  Aptitude install linux-headers-2.6.15-26-server will
install the kernel headers for your current kernel.

> Once the configure is done, what are the next steps to get it up and
> running? the documentation for linux assumes I am using the linux
> dist not the source so I'm a little lost, if anyone can help me with
> a step by step configuration it would be greatly appreciated!

Aptitude install openafs-fileserver openafs-dbserver and read the
documentation:
zless /usr/share/doc/openafs-fileserver/README.servers.gz

-----

You can ask specific questions on the #openafs IRC channel on Freenode.

<<CDC