[OpenAFS] UFS logging on Solaris - could this cause volumes to go offline and salvager to dump core

Douglas E. Engert deengert@anl.gov
Fri, 02 Nov 2007 09:25:34 -0500

Andrew Cobaugh wrote:
> I can't find any reference to UFS logging on Solaris past 2004 in the
> archives (unless I'm not looking hard enough). Is it safe to turn on
> logging on ufs under Solaris these days?

Don't thing anything has changed. Logging should be off. We used to
use UFS for vice, but have now switched to using the namei with ZFS.

A few years ago we ran into problems with fsck, as AFS required its
own fsck, because the AFS fileserver dinks around with UFS inodes.
But Sun change the superblock for logging and the AFS fsck could not
handle it, and did not do check the volume.

The long term solution is to use the namei fileservers.

--

  Douglas E. Engert  <DEEngert@anl.gov>
  Argonne National Laboratory