[OpenAFS] RHEL5 kmod packages require explicit kernel version?

Carson Gaspar carson@taltos.org
Tue, 06 Nov 2007 03:58:18 -0800

David Howells wrote:
> jdreed@MIT.EDU wrote:
>
>> I realize that the workaround is probably to install openafs-kernel-source,
>> which seems to satisfy the requirements of openafs-client, but is it
>> necessary for the kmod packages to require a kernel version?  While it's
>> true that the kmod won't work in other kernel versions, since it installs in
>> a separate directory, it seems like it would be better to drop the explicit
>> requirement to avoid failure modes like this one.
>
> If you don't have the explicit requirement, then you can get the situation
> where someone does an upgrade and reboots and then their box doesn't work any
> more because they don't have an AFS module for their newly running kernel and,
> say, /usr is stored on AFS.

Exactly. The correct solution is "maintain a sane repository". Which
may, sadly, mean "maintain your own repository"... yum is absolutely
correct in refusing to install a version of OpenAFS that won't actually
_work_.

--
Carson