[OpenAFS] RHEL5 kmod packages require explicit kernel version?

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Mon, 5 Nov 2007 18:36:51 +0000

On 5 Nov 2007, at 18:28, Jonathan Reed wrote:

> I suppose that's true, but I'd wonder how many sites actually have
> that setup these days, and of those sites, how many have users who
> have root on the workstations thus allowing them to shoot
> themselves in the foot in such a manner.  I'd speculate that the
> number is lower than the number of people who might try to install
> openafs in the time between when RHEL releases a kernel update and
> Openafs releases the corresponding kmod.  I could be wrong, however.

I'd hope to be be able to get into a situation where I can build and
make available kernel modules for the current release on all of our
'supported' Fedora and RHEL platforms pretty much immediately upon a
new kernel-devel package appearing upstream. This is now pending the
availability of suitable build hardware, and some time to finish the
required automation.

Simon.