[OpenAFS] installing loopback adapter after sysprep

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Wed, 7 Nov 2007 12:57:57 -0600

Dean Knape <knape@njit.edu> wrote:
> I have a sysprep'd W2K3 R2 server VM with OpenAFS 1.5.26.  I've added
> the necessary GuiRunOnce entry in the sysprep.inf using the
> instloop.exe extracted from this version's MSI to have the loopback
> adapter reinstalled.
>
> Instloop does reinstall the loopback adapter but I end up with my
> previously DHCP enabled local area connection getting a static 10.
> ... address and my AFS adapter doing DHCP.

I too have seen this happen.  Usually happens only when there are
multiple NICs in a machine, either real ethernet ones or FireWire.  But
since you are using a VM, I bet you do not have firewire.

Try this:
Before running sysprep on the image, disable the network adapter at the
VM level.

Shutdown the AFS service.
start -> run -> cmd
set DEVMGR_SHOW_DETAILS=1
set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\devmgmt.msc

View -> Show hidden devices
then find and delete all NICs, including the loopback adapter

This should remove pre-configured network adapters from your syspreped
image.  Hopefully this will allow newly detected ones to be correctly
setup and the loopback adapter install to work as desired.

<<CDC