[OpenAFS] installing loopback adapter after sysprep

Dean Knape knape@njit.edu
Wed, 07 Nov 2007 15:13:46 -0500

Christopher D. Clausen wrote:
> Dean Knape <knape@njit.edu> wrote:
>
>> I have a sysprep'd W2K3 R2 server VM with OpenAFS 1.5.26.  I've added
>> the necessary GuiRunOnce entry in the sysprep.inf using the
>> instloop.exe extracted from this version's MSI to have the loopback
>> adapter reinstalled.
>>
>> Instloop does reinstall the loopback adapter but I end up with my
>> previously DHCP enabled local area connection getting a static 10.
>> ... address and my AFS adapter doing DHCP.
>>

> I too have seen this happen.  Usually happens only when there are
> multiple NICs in a machine, either real ethernet ones or FireWire.  But
> since you are using a VM, I bet you do not have firewire.
>
> Try this:
> Before running sysprep on the image, disable the network adapter at the
> VM level.
>
> Shutdown the AFS service.
> start -> run -> cmd
> set DEVMGR_SHOW_DETAILS=1
> set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
> %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\devmgmt.msc
>
> View -> Show hidden devices
> then find and delete all NICs, including the loopback adapter
>
> This should remove pre-configured network adapters from your syspreped
> image.  Hopefully this will allow newly detected ones to be correctly
> setup and the loopback adapter install to work as desired.
>
> <<CDC

That did the trick.  There were a number of interfaces I wasn't able to
remove but by stopping the service and removing my primary and loopback
adapters instloop was able to add the loopback successfully.

Thanks,
dean