[OpenAFS] Building kernel modules for Fedora 7

Charles Karney ckarney@sarnoff.com
Thu, 08 Nov 2007 11:51:13 -0500

The 1.4.5 release of OpenAFS includes kernel modules for versions

    2.6.22.4_65.fc7
    2.6.22.7_85.fc7

However there are two more recent kernel versions

    2.6.22.9-91.fc7
    2.6.23.1-21.fc7

(1) Is it possible to include modules for these versions (i686) on the
1.4.5 release page.

(2) I notice that there's an RPM-build-notes posted with instructions
for how to build modules.  However it leaves out a discussion of what I
find to be the most common case: I've just installed an updated kernel
and BEFORE I reboot I would like to build and install the corresponing
OpenAFS module.  How do I specify a kernel other that the current one
with rpmbuild?

Also the discussion in RPM-build-notes presupposes a familiarity with
the process of building RPM files -- a familiarity which I, for one,
don't have.  It would be great if RPM-build-notes could be supplemented
by a "cookbook recipe" to follow.  Something along the lines of

    Ensure SRPM for openafs is installed, if not
        rpm -Uhv openafs-1.4.5-fc7.1.src.rpm

    yum update kernel kernel-devel
    cd <somewhere>
    rpmbuild ... openafs.spec
    rpm -ihv <somewhere-else>/kmod-openafs-...
    depmod xxx (?)

I recall seeing this in some E-mail on this list a year or so ago.
However, it would be better to include the information on the release
page.

Thanks.

--
Charles Karney <ckarney@sarnoff.com>
Sarnoff Corporation, Princeton, NJ 08543-5300

Tel: +1 609 734 2312
Fax: +1 609 734 2662