[OpenAFS] Error 11862791 AFS service may not have started

MG mgmonza@gmail.com
Fri, 09 Nov 2007 12:22:56 -0500

Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> MG wrote:
>
>> I started getting this several months ago:  "Error 11862791  AFS service
>> may not have started" now whenever I try to obtain tokens in AFS.  This
>> is on a Windows XP, SP2 machine.
>>
>> To try to cure the problem, I just installed 1.5.1800,"typical"
>> configuration, and it's happening in this version too, but it just
>> started in the previous installation after a couple of years of working
>> without problems.
>>

> The current release is 1.5.27.
>
> 	http://www.openafs.org/windows.html

The one I installed was the one the installation's admins' page had the
pointer to.  I should add that there is next to no user support here, so
I'm doing what I can by searching the Internet.

I downloaded and installed 1.5.27 and got the same error.

>> I know next to nothing about registries, but looking at this page:
>> http://www.nabble.com/Error-Number-11862791-t2225811.html, it seems that
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\MSV1_0]
>>    "BackConnectionHostNames"
>> should equal "multi-sz"?
>> If so, and if the TYPE in my machine's registery key equals REG_MULTI_SZ
>> but the DATA equals AFS, could this be the problem?  Should I change the
>> DATA to equal MULTI_SZ?
>>

> If you have any doubts about this key's contents, delete the key and let
> OpenAFS recreate it.

I did, and the OpenAFS installation did not recreate it.

> What the error indicates is that the clients cannot talk to the server
> over NetBIOS.  There was a bug fixed in 1.5.26 that could have produced
> random results when trying to generate the Netbios name to be used.  It
> should be "AFS" in all cases if you have the MS Loopback Adapter
> installed.

ipconfig /all indicates that AFS is bound to the loopback adapter.  The
only anomalous setting is that DHCP enabled = "NO".

> There is extensive debugging information in the Release Notes.  Please
> read them if you have not already done so.

I did not see anything that addresses this persistent error, either in
the release notes or in the documentation in general, on

http://www.openafs.org/doc

Chris