[OpenAFS] E212: Can't open file for writing

Ron Croonenberg ronc@depauw.edu
Thu, 15 Nov 2007 16:02:11 -0500

Uhm...  I noticed that after a while (an hour or so)that problem "fixed
itself" ? It looks like I copied the files there and it took a long
while before it was actually there (even though sftp said it transferred
the files)?

Ron

Ron Croonenberg wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I tried to copy 2 files onto an afs volume, but that didn't work too
> well for some reason. (I never had this problem before.)
>
> projection_3a.tif" E212: Can't open file for writing
>
> ls -al shows:
>
> ?---------  ? ?    ?             ?            ? projection_3a.tif
> ?---------  ? ?    ?             ?            ? projection_3.tif
>
> Anyway, I tried to remove etc. the fiels but that doesn't go anywhere.
> Basically most things say the files are not there, but with ls I see
> them show up.
>

> any ideas ?
>

> thanks,
>
> Ron
>

> Jason Edgecombe wrote:
>> Hartmut Reuter wrote:
>>> Namei has another advantage: if you salvage a single volume it's not
>>> necessary to read all inodes, but only those pseudo-inodes (file names)
>>> under the subdirectory belonging to the volume group. This is much
>>> faster.
>>>
>>> An overhead traversing the AFSIDat-tree to open a file certainly
>>> exists, but I suppose it is neglectible compared to the advantages.
>>>

>> Does the inode server slow down as the partition size grows? Am I going
>> to see a noticable slowdown on the inode server on a 250GB or 500GB
>> partition?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jason

  Ron Croonenberg                   |
                                    | Phone: 1 765 658 4761
  Lab Instructor &                  | Fax:   1 765 658 4732
          Technology Coordinator    |

  Department of Computer Science    | e-mail: ronc@DePauw.edu
  DePauw University                 |
  275 Julian Science & Math Center  |