[OpenAFS] Mac OS 10.5 Leopard's TimeMachine with AFS

Stephen Joyce stephen@physics.unc.edu
Mon, 19 Nov 2007 11:10:52 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007, Moritz Bunse wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently updated my Mac OS to Leopard and installed OpenAFS. I can
> browse my AFS-cell. Now I want to use an AFS-directory as backup directory
> for time machine. I entered
>
> defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes
> 1
>
> in the command line and now /afs is shown in the backup volume selection
> in Time Machine. I can select it, but the problem I think is, that I do
> not have write access to /afs, only to /afs/cellname/user/username. How
> can I mount this directory as a network device?
> There is software at Stanford (
> http://www.stanford.edu/services/openafs/mac/index.html ) , but it is not
> downloadable!

Will Time Machine even use a location in AFS for its backend storage?

Forgive me, as I haven't played with 10.5 yet, but only read about it...
doesn't Time Machine use hardlinks between directories to build its backup
directories? I seem to recall that AFS doesn't support hard links between
files in different directories...? (This has disappointed me once or
twice).

Cheers, Stephen
--
Stephen Joyce
Systems Administrator                                            P A N I C

Don't judge a book by its movie.