[OpenAFS] openafs upgrade from 1.4.1 to 1.5.7

Harald Barth haba@kth.se
Thu, 29 Nov 2007 10:29:15 +0100 (CET)

> What's the underlying filesystem? AFS passes through the semantics of
> metadata operations of the underlying filesystem, and ext* for instance is
> poor at it.

For example xfs on Linux has worked well for us.

> > We are running an old version of AFS.. 1.4.1.   Are there any
> > configuration differences between 1.4.1 and 1.5.7?
> >

> Lots. Of course, we recommend 1.4.5, and not some random 1.5, especially not
> an old one. 1.5.7 is similarly old to 1.4.1.

As Derrick said, use 1.4.x for servers.

> > Can I have a mixed environment of versions?

> Unless you have pts supergroups enabled, yes, though there is a pending bug
> regarding moving volumes between current 1.5.x and 1.4.x.

Better than that. You can mix even if you have supergroups enabled,
but don't create any supergroups until all your servers are upgraded.
There is no need for a complete cell shutdown to perform an upgrade.
There has not been such a need for years.

Harald.