[OpenAFS] openafs upgrade from 1.4.1 to 1.5.7

Jerry Normandin Jerry.Normandin@dafca.com
Thu, 29 Nov 2007 09:52:40 -0800

Thanks everybody for your input! I just started my postion here and
inherited this AFS deployment.  It was great that the previous people
chose AFS, but they deployed it wrong.  I decided on using the XFS file
system, Also I will be upgrading to 1.4.7

The very first day I was here I got queries about improving AFS
performance.
First I plan on making the fixes, next to add some redundancy.  There is
none here.  At my previous employers I had plenty of nodes. Over there
is no
Redundancy in the volume servers.  Sure there are multiple volume
servers, but only one for AFS HOME and one for TOOLS.  So.. I have my
work cut out for me. =20

Once again.. Thanks everybody!

-----Original Message-----
From: Harald Barth [mailto:haba@kth.se]=20
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2007 4:29 AM
To: Jerry Normandin
Cc: openafs-info@openafs.org
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] openafs upgrade from 1.4.1 to 1.5.7

> What's the underlying filesystem? AFS passes through the semantics of
> metadata operations of the underlying filesystem, and ext* for
instance is
> poor at it.

For example xfs on Linux has worked well for us.

> > We are running an old version of AFS.. 1.4.1.   Are there any
> > configuration differences between 1.4.1 and 1.5.7?
> >
>=20
> Lots. Of course, we recommend 1.4.5, and not some random 1.5,
especially not
> an old one. 1.5.7 is similarly old to 1.4.1.

As Derrick said, use 1.4.x for servers.

> > Can I have a mixed environment of versions?

> Unless you have pts supergroups enabled, yes, though there is a
pending bug
> regarding moving volumes between current 1.5.x and 1.4.x.

Better than that. You can mix even if you have supergroups enabled,
but don't create any supergroups until all your servers are upgraded.
There is no need for a complete cell shutdown to perform an upgrade.
There has not been such a need for years.

Harald.