[OpenAFS] AFS/OpenAFS incompatibilities ?

Xavier Canehan Xavier.Canehan@in2p3.fr
Fri, 21 Sep 2007 20:09:21 +0200

I am in the process of upgrading our AFS cell.

3 afsdb servers are AFS 3.6, on AIX old servers (getting rid off),
11 fileservers are OpenAFS 1.2.13, Solaris 9 (migrating OpenAFS and OS
version).
Clients vary from AFS 3.6 on AIX 4.2 to OpenAFS 1.4.4 on Solaris 10, but the
vast majority is OpenAFS 1.4.1 on Scientific Linux 4.

. afsdb upgrade :

In order to upgrade afsdb, I removed today an AIX box cleanly, installed a
1.4.4 OpenAFS bos using solaris 9 and pushed it in production, using the
same name.

As I tried to be smart, in order to avoid CellServDB manipulations on our
whole farm (hence reboots) I played with "fs setpreferences" to higher the
level of the changed vlserver. Then I got reboots.
Fileservers and volservers seem to communicate correctly, but Linux clients
get stuck on several volumes at random then reboot. I could not get a trace
until now.

I'm going back right now : decommissioning the new solaris box and
re-setting the old AXI box up.

Are you aware of incompatibilities between mentioned versions ?
Do you spot any Big Stupid Mistake I made ?
Should I upgrade each db servers as closely as possible to avoid version
discrepancies ?

. fileserver upgrade :

First step as been to stabilize versions on all the fileservers and OS.
As we had 1.2.13, It seemed a good step.

Should I upgrade fileservers, then afsdb servers ? I went the other way, it
seem a bad idea.

Any advice welcomed !

X. Canehan
--
 Xavier Canehan                | Centre de Calcul de l'IN2P3
 Equipe Administration Systeme | Institut National de Physique