[OpenAFS] AFS/OpenAFS incompatibilities ?

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Sun, 23 Sep 2007 10:56:52 -0400

Hi Xavier,

I haven't done this conversion, so please take my words with a grain of
salt. ;)

I would recommend setting up a new temporary fileserver running 1.4.4.
Move a few sacrificial volumes over to the new fileserver to test things.

After you are satisfied with the test server working properly, slowly
convert all of your fileservers to 1.4.4. After the fileservers are
done, you'll probably need to upgrade all of the db server at once.
This will mean a service outage for the whole cell. After you fully
upgrade to 1.4.4, it's recommended to start using kerberos 5 for
authentication and disable kaserver, if you haven't already migrated to
kerberos 5.

I did some digging and found the following slides about migrating from
IBM AFS to OpenAFS:
http://www-conf.slac.stanford.edu/AFSBestPractices/Slides/AFS_Migration.pdf

Jason