[OpenAFS] Recovering data from volumes after loss of cell

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Sun, 17 Aug 2008 20:34:46 -0400

Yes, you can install a new afs server with the old disks, then run "vos
syncvldb" as an AFS admin  to import all of the old volumes in to the
new server. That's probably your best bet. It's even better if you have
the KeyFile from the old server, but I don't believe that is necessary.

voldump is created in the src/volser directory in CVS. at worst, you can
download the cvs tree and compile it.

I doubt there is windows version of voldump. Even so, I wouldn't trust
the ext2/3 drivers for windows.

Be careful about copying AFS partition data around. I'd give it a 95%
change that you're using a namei server and OK, but if it was compiled
as inode, then copying the vicep data will make the copy corrupt.

Another useful fact, the fileserver will not normall mount the /vicep*
folder unless there are located on their own filesystems/partitions. You
can force the fileserver to mount a /vicep* folder by running "touch
/vicep*/AlwaysAttach"

Jason