[OpenAFS] Changing the hostname of AFS server

Charles Curley charlescurley@charlescurley.com
Thu, 4 Dec 2008 15:30:07 -0700

--wRRV7LY7NUeQGEoC

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 01:39:26PM -0800, dave first wrote:
> Jaime - Excellent information.  Thank you.  I've been living in a

> Bottom line seems to be that /vicepXX must be mounted filesystems and
> not just directories created under the root.
>=20
> Correct?

Not quite. During installation you can:

mkdir /vicepa; touch /vicepa/AlwaysAttach

However, I recommend against using the root partition for the reason
Esther Filderman already mentioned.

Also because eventually some clueless user (or clueless daemon or
clueless...) will try to shove several terabytes onto your server, and
will fill up the partition. Better that user/daemon/whatever should
fill up an AFS only partition than your root partition. Filling up the
partition that AFS uses for storing its metadata on is not nice for
AFS, never mind a lot of other software.

Please take the time to use gparted to shrink your root partition and
create one or more partitions for /vicep*.

--=20

Key fingerprint =3D CE5C 6645 A45A 64E4 94C0  809C FFF6 4C48 4ECD DFDB

--wRRV7LY7NUeQGEoC

--wRRV7LY7NUeQGEoC--