[OpenAFS] create mountpoint for user in afs

John Hascall john@iastate.edu
Mon, 07 Jan 2008 11:08:02 CST

> > Assuming you followed the
> >      /afs/<cell>    readonly mtpt
> >      /afs/.<cell>   readwrite mtpt
> > "standard".
>
> I read about this "standard" but I don't get it completly. Does it mean,
> that I have to write to /afs/.<cell>/user/file but read all the files
> from /afs/<cell>/user/file? Is there some kind of "automatic" in there
> or do I have to call "vos release" periodicaly?

   AFS prefers ReadOnly Volumes to ReadWrite Volumes,
   until it gets to a ReadWrite Volume.   So normally,
   the top of your afs tree is readonly and the actual
   data volume leaves are readwrite.

   So:
       touch /afs/@cell/user/matthais/file

   works fine, because:

             /afs/@cell/user/matthais/file
              RO  RO    RO   RW
   but:
       touch /afs/@cell/file
              RO  RO    uh-oh

   fails.  Thus, the dot-cell RW mountpoint, thus:

       touch /afs/.@cell/file
              RO  RW

   works.

John