[OpenAFS] RPMS for RHEL 1.4.6

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Tue, 15 Jan 2008 16:25:51 +0000

On 15 Jan 2008, at 11:41, Brunckhorst, Ralf wrote:

> There has something change since version 1.4.6 in the download-area
> on openafs.org.

Perhaps I should go into some detail about how I'm now building RPMs
for OpenAFS.

I have a single x86_64 machine (from Informatics @ Edinburgh
University) which builds for both i386 and x86_64 versions of Fedora
5, 6, 7, 8 and RHEL 4 and RHEL 5. For licensing reasons we build
against the CentOS 4 and CentOS 5 RPM sets - but the resulting RPMS
will work on CentOS, RHEL, and Scientific Linux. The build process is
run every night and will pick up, and build for, new kernel versions
whenever they appear upstream. Whilst the push to the OpenAFS website
is still a manual process, this does mean that new kernel modules
will appear within a couple days of their appearance upstream.
Unfortunately, the CentOS dependency does add an additional delay for
real RHEL users - we can't build kernel modules until the new kernel
appears in CentOS.

In addition, we're now building for all the kernel versions for all
of these OS's we can find. For 1.4.6, we're providing in the region
of 600 different kernel versions - allowing sites which are stuck at
a particular kernel version for whatever reason to still use prebuilt
modules. Whilst Derrick had a pretty good scour to make sure that
we've got all of the kernel-devel packages, if you have a
_distributed_ (as opposed to locally built) kernel version that we're
not building for, and you have access to a distributable kernel-devel
RPM for that version, please let me know.

With all of this, comes the ability to use yum to keep your OpenAFS
RPMs in sync. If you install the openafs-repository RPM (from the
OpenAFS website) for the version of OpenAFS you require, then 'yum
install openafs-client' will install all the packages you require to
run an OpenAFS client, and any further operating system upgrades will
also upgrade your OpenAFS kernel modules as required.

> In tree 1.4.5 there was a extra src.rpm for each RHEL version, in
> 1.4.6 this is missing: only a global src.rpm for all distros.

Every distro is built from this 'global' SRPM. There are no
distribution dependent changes to the SRPM. That said, I have just
fixed the build script so that the distribution specific SRPMs are
retained following each build.

> Another thing is that now all user-space packages for RHEL are now
> built with the fedorakmod option and they require openafs-kmod
> instead of openafs-kernel like in the past (1.4.5) If I want to
> build a kernel module with the src.rpm I have no problem but if I
> try to build a kernel module with the fedorakmod option that can be
> used with the user-space packages I run into trouble:
>
> [root@deacx050 ~]# uname -a
> Linux deacx050 2.6.9-67.0.1.ELsmp

There are RPMs available from this kernel from the OpenAFS site -
kmod-openafs-1.4.6-2.2.6.9_67.0.1.EL.i686.rpm

> [root@deacx050 RHEL4-1.4.6]# rpmbuild --rebuild --target=`uname -m`
> --define "fedorakmod 1" openafs-1.4.6-1.1.src.rpm Installing
> openafs-1.4.6-1.1.src.rpm Building target platforms: i686

We're going to change the defaults for 1.4.7, so that "fedorakmod"
will be the standard format, and so that only the standard kernel
module will be built unless you explicitly request others - hopefully
this will make things more straightforward.

Cheers,

Simon.