[OpenAFS] Some questions about AFS

Thomas Kula kula@tproa.net
Fri, 18 Jan 2008 16:08:41 -0500

On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 05:14:29PM +0100, Anders Magnusson wrote:

> Ok, thanks.  A related question to this is how database replication
> works, the databases
> became quite large.  80MB prdb and 40MB vldb.  Will it only copy changed
> entries or
> may the whole database be copied?

Here at UMich our prdb and vldb are 92 and 46M respectively.
We (in recent memory, though I've only been here a year) pretty
much just don't notice.

I don't remember off-hand all the details, but the ubik
protocol the database things are built on sends out and
commits individual transactions, so you're not always
shoving around the entire database. How a machine catches
up after it has been off for a while I don't know --- if
it sees it is behind and grabs the whole thing or grabs
only the stuff to bring it up to date or some combination
of which I'm not sure.

--
Thomas L. Kula | kula@tproa.net | http://kula.tproa.net/
Mathom House at Ypsi-Edge, The People's Republic of Ames