[OpenAFS] Some questions about AFS

Anders Magnusson ragge@dc.ltu.se
Sat, 19 Jan 2008 12:02:33 +0100

Harald Barth skrev:

>> Ok, thanks.  A related question to this is how database replication works, the databases
>> became quite large.  80MB prdb and 40MB vldb.  Will it only copy changed entries or
>> may the whole database be copied?
>>

> Oh, I'm a bit astonished...
>
> -rw-------  1 root bin 4557888 Jan 18 16:08 prdb.DB0
> -rw-------  1 root bin 1093696 Jan 18 17:19 vldb.DB0
>
> so I never thought much about it. Your stress tests might have had
> some effects.

Yes, they had :-) I will probably do a reinstall of the system before we
start in a production
environment.

>> Yes, I've seen that, and I also saw some recommendations about having a small number
>> of entries in each directory, but is this still an issue today?
>>

> There are a lot of stupid gui thingies out there that want to stat
> every dir they see. And color-ls and such things. Shrug.

But it still were not a problem when we tried it.  If people likes to do
ls in /home, well,
I consider that their problem, as long as references of files below
don't take any longer
time.  But I assume that the namei cache solves that problem.

>> I just noticed that I couldn't create a volume in the server manager either:
>>
>> The AFS Server Manager was unable to create volume gurka on partition
>> /vicepa of server apa
>>
>> Error: not synchronization site (should work on sync site)(0x00001501)
>>

> Does vos do the trick? In that case that is probably a bug.

The command-line commands has always worked as they should, it's just the
windows client that has this problem.

-- Ragge