[OpenAFS] "not synchronization site" on client

Jasper Moeller mail@jasper-moeller.de
Thu, 31 Jan 2008 17:10:23 +0100

Hi all,

we are having a strange problem with one of our linux clients. Setup is
mixed OpenAFS 1.2 (for backup, it only holds replication volumes now...)
and OpenAFS 1.4 servers.
The problematic client is running Fedora Core 6 (kernel 2.6.22),
together with the current openafs-1.4.6 packages from openafs.org. The
problem, however, has already been present for earlier afs client
versions. Authentication is done through Kerberos 5.

For some reason, we get messages like:

$vos release java
Could not lock the VLDB entry for the volume 536870952.
u: not synchronization site (should work on sync site)
Error in vos release command.
u: not synchronization site (should work on sync site)

when running AFS admin tools (like vos release, pts adduser)
on this specific client. Acquiring an ticket/admin token works flawless,
so it is probably not an authentication problem. Another linux client
(Ubuntu, 7.09, AFS 1.4.4) has absolutely no problems with afs admin
commands.

Any ideas? I'd really hate to reinstall the client from scratch or so,
switching to the ubuntu box is not an option either.

Regards

JM
--
Jasper Moeller