[OpenAFS] /etc/rc.d/init/afs start does not start afs

Stephan.Wiesand@desy.de Stephan.Wiesand@desy.de
Thu, 31 Jan 2008 19:42:00 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008, Derrick Brashear wrote:

> On Jan 31, 2008 11:49 AM, gaurav gunjan jha <crazytitan05@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>> We are having problems while installing the first afs server machine on
>> scientific linux 4.4 .we have used afs server and client rpms for
>> installation.

4.4 is ancient. If it still has to be SL4, why not at least 4.5? And if it
doesn't, I'd really recommend 5.1 for a new AFS server. It comes with
packages for the latest OpenAFS release. SL4.x will get those a bit later.

> which rpms? i suggest the 1.4.6 rpms on the openafs.org web site, if you get
> rhel4 rpms we should even have a module for your kernel.

He's probably using the SL RPMs. Gaurav, if that's true, this discussion
should be taken over to the scientific-linux-users list since the init
script has been quite different from the one in the openafs.org packages
for a while. We'll send you back here once we've sorted out the issues
specific to SL ;-) And just to be sure: This is not a recommendation not
to grab and use the EL4 packages from openafs.org instead of the ones
coming with SL. But whichever you use, it would be best to address the
corresponding mailing list first with these questions.

[Axel, it's your turn now to advertise the ATRPMs packages...]

>> we got stuck just at the start of " the completing the installation of
>> first afs machine "steps as per the open afs documentation present on web.
>> After rebooting the machine using shutdown -r now when i type
>> /etc/rc.d/init/afs start   i get the error
>>
>> afs: Unable to reach 172.20.53.249 ...
>> afs: Unable to reach AFS servers.
>> Not starting FATAL: Module libafs not found.
>
> no module, no client.

Right. The other messages probably mean that the server wasn't started
either.

--
Stephan Wiesand
   DESY - DV -