[OpenAFS] Re: AFS performance problems: Where's current (IBM's is 2000) HowTo Install +Config Doc?

Stephan.Wiesand@desy.de Stephan.Wiesand@desy.de
Thu, 31 Jan 2008 22:38:59 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008, Harald Barth wrote:

>> I'm willing to have a go at this & install on 64-bit
>> Scientific Linux 4.4 server. I don't know that much
>> about our existing AFS server so will need some
>> tutorial documentataon in configuring a new AFS server
>> & migrating allthe config+data to a new server.
>
> If you are not familiar it will be much faster if you use an OS that
> the OpenAFS community makes binary releases for. Unless you can get
> fresh and good binary releases for SL 4.4.

Well, "fresh" and "good" aren't neccessarily the same. The SL developers
try to find a balance between stability and being up to date, and also try
to align AFS updates with somewhat disruptive other changes if possible.
See http://listserv.fnal.gov/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0801&L=scientific-linux-devel&T=0&P=2498

The current errata packages for SL4 are 1.4.4, plus a good measure of bug
fixes found in CVS last summer. That's not bleeding edge, but it really
could be worse. After all, 1.4.5 is only about three months old.

--
Stephan Wiesand
   DESY - DV -