[OpenAFS] strange authentication issue

David Bear david.bear@asu.edu
Thu, 31 Jan 2008 15:24:35 -0700

My openSuse 10.2  got a kernel update today afterwhich my openafs stopped
working. So I rpm -e openafs items and grabbed new rpms from opensuse.org.

I did the make clone config and make prepare dance in /usr/src/linux and
installed the new rpms. After that, openafs started up, the kernel module
loaded and I thought all was great. I performed a kinit for my sell, the did
aklog. Aklog returned an error about openafs.org not responding so I did a
aklog -c asu.edu and I do have tokens. I can type 'tokens' and seem my afs
id.

however, when I attempt a 'pts members somegroup' over a group that I have
permissions on I get:

pts members somegroup
libprot: no such entry Could not get afs tokens, running unauthenticated.
pts: User or group doesn't exist so couldn't look up id for somegroup

Aside from maybe a tweak to my afs config, I think something else is broken
much deeper in the afs build. I know its not helping that I'm using rpms that
were not built by openafs.org -- but I would gladly use them if you have them
for opensuse 10.2;-)

anyone have any pointers as to what could be happening?

As far as I can tell, reads/writes to files within afs work. pts is borked.

--
David Bear
David Bear