[OpenAFS] Upgrade from 1.2.8 to 1.4.7

jcw@highperformance.net jcw@highperformance.net
Sun, 27 Jul 2008 09:15:31 -0700

Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> Why Fedora Core?  The upgrade rate of the kernels is really high and
> it is impossible for the OpenAFS community to keep up with them.
> Unless you plan to not have an OpenAFS client kernel module installed
> on the machine, I would not use Fedora Core as the platform for a
> server.  Use a distribution that updates Linux kernels at a much slower
> rate.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know the Fedora was volatile which I
do not desire. I don't plan on tracking changes though. If the current
binary release of OpenAFS 1.4.7 works reliably on FC9, then I'd be happy
with that for a couple years.

This might seem anti-open-sourcish. I don't upgrade anything very often.
  I track FreeBSD releases and that's it.

I chose Fedora because OpenAFS supports it with binaries and it's the
free descendant of the version of Redhat 8.0 that I am running. I also
assumed that it would result in less need for me to get trained up on a
new OS.

I so strongly desire FreeBSD server and client.  I spent yesterday
trying to compile FreeBSD. meh.

After reading the replies, I tried compiling 1.4.7 on my existing RH8
system. I don't really have a development environment on the box and the
build failed.

Is there a repository of RPMs for redhat-8.0?  I haven't found one.

Does the binary Mac OS X 10.5 port run on Darwin 9.4?

What do people recommend for an OS to run on x86 with OpenAFS 1.4.7?
I'd prefer something that has binary builds from OpenAFS.org if I can
get it.

Regards,
Jason