[OpenAFS] Problem building 1.4.7 client on RHEL4 SMP system

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Fri, 9 May 2008 17:09:57 +0100

On 9 May 2008, at 01:51, Richard Brittain wrote:
> Hi,
>   I tried upgrading an SMP RHEL4 client today with the 1.4.7 RPMs
> and built the kernel module with rpmbuild the way I usually do.
> However,
> although I specified --define "kernvers 2.6.9-67.0.15.ELsmp"
> - which syntax always worked before, it built the non-SMP kernel
> module.

Is there a problem with the RPMs on the web site?

With 1.4.7, we have moved to building 'kmod' style kernel modules.
These build multiple different kernel variants (SMP, Xen, PAE, etc)
from a single SRPM, using the standard RedHat mechanism for packaging
kernel modules. When you're using this, you should give it the kernel
version by defining 'kernvers', and the list of variants you want to
build by defining 'kvariants'. When 'kvariants' is undefined, you
will build a standard kernel module.

You can get the old behaviour back by defining 'fedorakmod' to 0

Cheers,

Simon.