[OpenAFS] Summary of recommended configuration options from the workshop

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Mon, 26 May 2008 13:49:06 -0500

Robert Banz <rob@nofocus.org> wrote:
>> fileserver:
>> -p 128 ( maximum number of threads )
>> -vattach # (greater than 1. should this be equal the number of
>> partitions)
>> -large
>> -cb # (1 million or more callbacks)
>> no fastrestart
>> more fun options with using demand-attach
>
> WHY, pray tell, are we recommending against fastrestart? I think this
> has been one of the best options in OpenAFS to come along. Is it just
> a misunderstanding of what it does?

I use fast-restart as well, although the way to go is demand attach.
Perhaps this can be pulled into a 1.4.X release candidate for testing?
Some of us do not want to make the leap to the 1.5.x branch for
production use.

Any downsides of switching from salvager to demand attach?  Affect namei
or inode fileservers?

<<CDC