[OpenAFS] Re: libafs: Unknown symbol init_pid_ns

Axel Thimm openafs-info@openafs.org
Sun, 2 Nov 2008 21:02:48 +0200

--bp/iNruPH9dso1Pn

Hi,

On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 12:44:41PM -0500, Jason Edgecombe wrote:
>> So actually this means that the error is a followup from the warning
>> about a missing Module.symvers. :(
>>
>> Is there any way to create Module.symvers w/o building the whole
>> kernel and its modules? Probably not. :( :( :(
>>
>> Would it make sense to patch the check to always fail find_task_pid (on
>> all RHEL/Fedora platforms) as a workaround?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>  =20
> Hi Axel,
>
> I had a problem where doing a "make prepare" on the kernel tree was not =
=20
> enough to build openafs for the Nokia tablets. The solution was to run =
=20
> "make modules_prepare" in the kernel tree before configuring & compiling =
=20
> openafs. "make modules_prepare" saved me from having to do a full kernel =
=20
> compile.
>
> FYI, "make modules_prepare" was preceeded by a "make n800_defconfig" =20
> which should map to something in the redhat kernel build; I just don't =
=20
> know what.
>
> Thanks go to Simon for helping me discover "make modules_prepare".

Thanks for the hint, but it seems to just call make prepare and make
scripts. The documentation says:

--- 2.4 Preparing the kernel tree for module build

        To make sure the kernel contains the information required to
        build external modules the target 'modules_prepare' must be used.
        'modules_prepare' exists solely as a simple way to prepare
        a kernel source tree for building external modules.
        Note: modules_prepare will not build Module.symvers even if
        CONFIG_MODVERSIONS is set. Therefore a full kernel build
        needs to be executed to make module versioning work.

The GPL versioning seems to use Module.symvers, so there is no
shortcut to a full kernel build :(
--=20
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

--bp/iNruPH9dso1Pn