[OpenAFS] Re: libafs: Unknown symbol init_pid_ns

Marc Dionne marc.c.dionne@gmail.com
Sun, 02 Nov 2008 14:39:24 -0500

Axel Thimm wrote:
> Thanks for the hint, but it seems to just call make prepare and make
> scripts. The documentation says:
>
> --- 2.4 Preparing the kernel tree for module build
>
>         To make sure the kernel contains the information required to
>         build external modules the target 'modules_prepare' must be used.
>         'modules_prepare' exists solely as a simple way to prepare
>         a kernel source tree for building external modules.
>         Note: modules_prepare will not build Module.symvers even if
>         CONFIG_MODVERSIONS is set. Therefore a full kernel build
>         needs to be executed to make module versioning work.
>
> The GPL versioning seems to use Module.symvers, so there is no
> shortcut to a full kernel build :(

Module.symvers should be part of kernel-devel.

I often build the openafs module (via the Makefile, not rpmbuild) on
fedora with fedora-built kernels, and I can't recall ever having to do
anything else other than installing kernel-devel for the corresponding
kernel.  I've certainly never had to use "make prepare" or "make
modules_prepare".

I just did a quick test with a 2.6.27.4-68 kernel with the kernel and
kernel-devel RPMs, and a bogus configure test that uses a GPL-only
symbol.  I got the expected "modpost: GPL-incompatible module
conftest.ko uses GPL-only symbol" error.

Marc